Have you checked your account statements and noticed any discrepancies?
Do you suspect someone has abused your credit card? The following lines will tell you what to do in this case.
- 1. Immediately notify your bank or card issuer. Take advantage of your bank’s online hotline, which is open 24 hours a day. Also try to find out with a bank employee whether it is for example one of the fees that are automatically paid from your account (eg insurance, etc.).
- 2. How does the bank proceed? If this is not an automatic fee, your case will be discussed. If it finds it legitimate and acknowledges that it is indeed a transaction you have not done, it will pay you the amount of that payment.
- 3. Report the matter to the police, especially when it comes to the disappearance of a larger amount.
- 4. You will need to complete and sign certain documents that the bank will probably require through insurance. It is a form for reporting damage, a copy of a document from the Police, whether domestic or foreign (documents such as notification of misuse of a payment card, loss, etc.).
- 5. We also recommend that you block your credit card and request a new card. How to do this is dealt with in our article What to Do When Losing a Credit Card?
In any case, remember that much better than solving these situations is not to create them at all.
Don’t push yourself into such troubles again! It’s largely in your hands. Therefore:
- Behave responsibly, beware of your documents, do not disclose your PIN or mark it on a piece of paper, do not store your internet / mobile banking name and password in any computer.
- Regularly review your account status and past transactions. Above all, if you stayed abroad, whether you were working or just vacationing, and paid for smaller merchants. Despite the wide smiles, there are those who want to squeeze out the last penny from the tourists.
- Keep a printed proof of payment, or. it’s good to have a witness at hand. With these confirmatory elements, the bank will more easily assess whether a payment has been made by you or whether it has actually been misused.